[Bioclusters] Any issues porting applications to OS X?

Philip MacMenamin bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Fri, 5 Mar 2004 12:39:03 -0500

One thing that may or may not have an effect on your decision:

In our case, we have a load of G4s hanging around the lab for various
purposes. With Apples XGrid, its very easy to just get these to add
themselves to the cluster as soon as the screensaver runs in a SETI@home type
of way. Assuming you have some sort of reasonable bandwidth, and chunky CPU
intensive stuff to run this extra "night time" power might be nice. Keep in
mind though, that these dual G5s, high end Opterons, and the very fast Xeons
are *so* much faster than most of the computer detritus hanging around most
labs, it might not actually be worth your while.

But, it might be... and you have essentially a couple of extra nodes free,
and therefore a little more bang for your buck...