[Bioclusters] Any issues porting applications to OS X?

Farul Mohd. Ghazali bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Sat, 6 Mar 2004 08:39:05 +0800 (MYT)

Philip MacMenamin wrote:

> If you take say a 16 node Altix 350 (I think thats the name of their
> new low end machine), and compare it to a comparable 16 node cluster
> using low latency interconnects, ie Myrinet, the Altix works out
> cheaper than the Myranet cluster. (Based on the numbers that we got)
> And it can run Linux. And is generally nicer.

Is this a single system image machine or a cluster in the traditional
sense? The MIPS based SGI Origins used some custom interconnects to
create a nice NUMA machine across different nodes.

If it's a single system, management and CPU/memory utilization would be
significantly easier compared to the cluster but how well does Linux
handle a NUMA environment?