[Bioclusters] (no subject)

Dan Bolser bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Tue, 30 Mar 2004 15:21:26 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004, LAI Loong Fong wrote:

> The limitation actually lies in the 32 bit architecture of Xeon.
> Physical 32 bit limitation is 4GB, PAE gives us up to 64 GB. For normal
> Linux, you should have about 3GB per process and maybe can tune the
> kernel to use 3.5GB per process.

Hmmm..... Looks like we are only getting 2GB per process (2GB per CPU?).

We are using standard linux, but with a swap space below the size of the
ram (2GB). Could this be a problem? (i.e. true64 style).

ulimit -a
core file size        (blocks, -c) 0
data seg size         (kbytes, -d) unlimited
file size             (blocks, -f) unlimited
max locked memory     (kbytes, -l) unlimited
max memory size       (kbytes, -m) unlimited
open files                    (-n) 1024
pipe size          (512 bytes, -p) 8
stack size            (kbytes, -s) 8192
cpu time             (seconds, -t) unlimited
max user processes            (-u) 7168
virtual memory        (kbytes, -v) unlimited

Mem:  4124724k av,
Swap: 2040244k av

Thanks very much for your help,

Dan.