[Bioclusters] Hetergenous clusters?

Tim Cutts bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Thu, 14 Oct 2004 23:53:46 +0100

On 14 Oct 2004, at 11:05 pm, <Daniel.G.Roberts@aventis.com> wrote:

> Anyone out there have a single linux cluster which as both 32bit and
> 64 bit compute nodes within the same cluster.
>  Is this very common?

Not common.  But we do it.  We have a mixed architecture cluster which
currently consists of Tru64 Alphas and 32-bit Linux boxes.  We're about
to add some 64-bit Linux boxes as well.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend it unless you have a good reason,
since obviously you're multiplying the number of software stacks you
are maintaining.  In our case, the  Alphas are legacy, and the 64-bit
Linux boxes are aimed at replacing them, and providing machines for
large memory tasks (one of our new Itamium2 boxes has 192 GB of RAM)

Tim

--
Dr Tim Cutts
Informatics Systems Group, Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute