[Bioclusters] LImitations

Joe Landman bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Fri, 15 Oct 2004 08:49:20 -0400

Hi Folks:

  I am going to be giving a talk soon where I want to talk about a
meta-topic, specifically rate-limiting factors for researchers working
on computational analysis or simulation, with an eye towards bioclusters
and grids.   That is, what (if anything) is keeping you from doing your
work (apart from answering random biocluster inquiries) as quickly as
you might wish:  is it "wetware" (people), software (many possible
issues), hardware (speeds, feeds, support, ...), labwork, or something
else?  Please be as detailed as possible.   Moreover, I would like to
hear what you would like to do, but cannot now due to these
rate-limiting factors.

  I am curious about this in general, and yes, I know that a
self-selecting group does not an accurate poll make.   I want to see how
close my own thoughts are to "the community" and see if I have missed
anything.

  Drilling in deeper to specific aspects,  I would like to hear what
folks feel the bottlenecks are in whatever analysis or simulation
processes interest them.  As I said, I have my own opinions, but my
opinions are reflective of my environment, so I need to look at
extra-environmental opinions to draw a more complete picture.  Please
note:  it may be possible that some folks believe that there are no
bottlenecks (I have heard this a few times) in their work.

  If you are interested in helping, please feel free to email me about
this.  I don't want to clutter the list with this, though if there is
interest, I will try to summarize what I hear.

  Thanks!  Please respond to me directly if you prefer.  All
emails/names will be considered confidential, and treated as such.

Joe

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Scalable Informatics LLC,