[Bioclusters] Problems with gridEngine on OS X

zauhar r.zauhar at usip.edu
Thu Apr 21 18:50:28 EDT 2005

Hi Folks,

I am spending way too much time trying to get gridEngine up and running
on our OS X boxes. I started with version 5.3 (because I thought it
would be more "stable") and was able to get things working via command
line. However, despite a lot of effort I could not get qmon to work,
and given the complexity of the commands I really wanted it to work. My
aim is to make it available to everyone in our group, including
students.

I tried to google every relevant piece of information I could
(including messages on this list). The error message I cannot eradicate
is

Warning: Cannot find callback list in XtAddCallBack

(appearing dozens of times) which precedes the creation of a mangled
GUI. I cannot determine if this is an issue of the Qmon resource file
not being located (I copied it to every bloody place I could imagine,
followed by endless tinkering with the various path environment
variables that motif uses). My only minuscule success was to set the
environment variable XBMLANGPATH to point at the PIXMAPS directory
under $SGE_ROOT/qmon , which produced a reasonable-looking GUI but did
not eliminate the XtAddCallBack messages;  and said GUI did  not work.
I am no expert on motif (I have learned more than I ever expected to
know at this point) and cannot go much further.

SO, I decided to move up to version 6.0! I installed it remotely on our
network server (named "galapagos"). All seemed to go well. I added my
office machine ("cabriolet") as an admin host, and then tried again to
run qmon. It didn't work (in fact just terminated abruptly). When I
tried to run qconf on my office machine, I got this message:

[cabriolet-usip-edu:/var/db/netinfo] zauhar# qconf -sh
error: commlib error: access denied (client IP resolved to host name
"cabriolet.usip.edu". This is not identical to clients host name "ca)
ERROR: unable to contact qmaster using port 9902 on host
"galapagos.usip.edu"

Huh? The business about the host name resolution looks incredibly
peculiar.

Sorry for the clueless character of this message, but think how
superior you will feel if you can show me what an ass I am. :-)

Thanks in advance,

Randy

Randy J. Zauhar, PhD
Assoc. Prof. of Biochemistry
Director, Graduate Program in Bioinformatics
Dept. of Chemistry & Biochemistry
University of the Sciences in Philadelphia
600 S. 43rd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104

Phone:	(215)596-8691
FAX:		(215)596-8543
E-mail:	r.zauhar at usip.edu
Web:	http://tonga.usip.edu/zauhar

Discussion after watching Disney's "Lilo & Stitch":

DAD: "But why did the space aliens speak English, as opposed to French,
or Swahili? And why did the one alien speak English with an Eastern
European accent? I don't get it."

CATHERINE (age 7): "That's 'cause you don't have a good cartoon brain."