[Bioclusters] Anyone interested in distributing on Windows?

Dan Swan bioinformatics.lists at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 05:13:46 EDT 2005

On 4/21/05, Daniel Ciruli <dan at digipede.net> wrote:

> Would anyone on this list have any interest in working with software that
> can manage distributed computing on Windows machines?
>
> I've been on the mailing list for over a year, and I realize that nearly all
> of the work that is going on here is Linux based (and most of it that isn't
> Linux is OS X).  But we have a solution that is very easy to install and use
> and there may be people out there who could take advantage of Windows
> servers, desktops or cluster nodes in their lab or organization.
>
> The system can run on any Microsoft OS since 2000, and can distribute any
> executables or scripts that run on that platform (we've done much of our
> internal testing using NCBI BLAST).  We are working with beta users now, and
> plan a commercial release in June.  Please contact me directly if you're
> interested in working with our beta.

Currently at Newcastle the favoured software for this is Condor:

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/

Our network is mixed Linux/Windows but we are interested in getting
Condor on a huge number of "Common Desktop" WinXP machines to allow
research staff to have effective access to a "Campus grid".

regards,

Dan
--
Dr Daniel Swan - Head, Bioinformatics Support Unit
924 Claremont Tower, University of Newcastle, Newcastle, NE1 7RU
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/bioinformatics/support || d.c.swan at ncl.ac.uk