[Bioclusters] Need some advice on a cluster for EST/cDNA assembly, clustering

Kevin M. Carr carrk at msu.edu
Mon Feb 28 13:33:35 EST 2005

Elia,

Regarding the Sun 4 way Opteron, they are actually made by a company called
Newisys.  Specifically it is the Newisys 4300; see:

http://www.newisys.com/products/4300.html

You can get the exact same box from other vendors for a lot less than Sun.
(When we were collecting bids for one, a vendor offered to silkscreen the
Sun logo on one for us.)  We got one with 4 X AMD846 CPUs, 16 GB RAM (8 X
2GB) and 4 X 73 GB U320 HDDs for right around $17,000 US.  Granted, this
vendor probably does not support Italy (frankly, I've found their after sale
support in the U.S. to be a little lacking.)  I also know that Sun can offer
some unbelievable discounts to educational institutions, we have benefited
from some of those ourselves.

Whoever you get it from you probably won't be disappointed, we use ours for
WGS sequence assembly and really love it.  All I'm saying is, when it comes
to buying Opterons from Sun, you really are paying for the logo since you
can get identical kit from other vendors.

Cheers,

Kevin M. Carr

Systems Administrator
Genomics Technology