[Bioclusters] Cluster ideas/suggestions

Micha Bayer michab at dcs.gla.ac.uk
Thu Jan 13 10:01:22 EST 2005

Hi,

this sounds like you might want to look at Condor. Condor is an
excellent tool for doing just that sort of thing (desktop cycle
harvesting).

It can be installed on Linux or Windows machines, and it is highly
configurable. One can set machines up so that jobs never run when the
user is working, so that users don't even know a job is lurking in the
background on their machine.

This would save you the trouble of having to reboot the machines, and
you would get extra cycles during the day when users are in their coffee
break etc.

Very nice package, free , very mature and great documentation. We run a
Condor pool here and we think it is excellent. There is also a large
user community already with mailing lists etc and good support
otherwise.

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/

If you have a pool of users who trust you to run jobs on their machines
then this is just the ticket.

cheers
Micha

On Thu, 2005-01-13 at 14:34, Nick D'Angelo wrote:
> In speaking to our R and D managers, they posed a good question.
>
> What about their desktop machines (relatively New Dell PCs), have them
> automatically shutdown and reboot, say at 8:00 pm and then join the cluster
> until 05:00 am.
>
> Then at 5:00 am, initiate another reboot that will present the Windows Login
> for the 'normal business day'.
>
> This would make great use of the hundreds of computers that are mostly
> sitting idle during the off hours 'normal business day'.
>
> Thoughts, suggestions always appreciated, thanks.
>
> Nick
>
> In case you need to know,  I am likely going to install the BioBrew v3.x
> which has just been pre-leased in Beta I believe.
Dr Micha M Bayer
Grid Developer, BRIDGES Project
National e-Science Centre, Glasgow Hub
246c Kelvin Building