[Bioclusters] Cluster ideas/suggestions

Arnie Miles adm35 at georgetown.edu
Thu Jan 13 10:03:38 EST 2005

Hi Nick:

I think what you're looking for is Condor, from the University of
Wisconsin.  They have software that can harvest Windows machine cycles
without all the reboots you're describing.  It allows the use of Windows
computers whenever they're idle, not just overnight, and if Condor is
using a machine when it's owner wants it, it just checkpoints the job
and gives the machine back to the owner.

Arnie

Joe Landman wrote:
| Hi Nick:
|
| Nick D'Angelo wrote:
|
|> In speaking to our R and D managers, they posed a good question.
|>
|> What about their desktop machines (relatively New Dell PCs), have them
|> automatically shutdown and reboot, say at 8:00 pm and then join the
|> cluster
|> until 05:00 am.
|

| This is called "Beowulf-at-night" or BAN.
|

|> Then at 5:00 am, initiate another reboot that will present the Windows
|> for the 'normal business day'.
|

| Its not "hard" to do, though how do you handle jobs which run longer
| than usual, or machines that get wedged into some odd state?
|

|> This would make great use of the hundreds of computers that are mostly
|> sitting idle during the off hours 'normal business day'.
|

| You might wish to look at some offerings from Platform Computing.  You
| could tie those in with Cygwin or similar, and have a "unixish" place to
| run code while retaining the desktop.  You could also look at things
| like United Devices.  Just beware that there is a bit more of a
| philosophical buy-in with that approach, and it is a bit more proprietary.
|
| Joe
|

|> Thoughts, suggestions always appreciated, thanks.
|>
|> Nick
|>
|> In case you need to know,  I am likely going to install the BioBrew v3.x
|> which has just been pre-leased in Beta I believe.

- --
==================
Arnie Miles
Systems Administrator, Advanced Research Computing (ARC)
Adjunct Assistant Professor, Computer Science Dept.
Georgetown University
320c St. Mary's
3800 Reservoir Road NW,
Washington, DC  20057