[Bioclusters] Cluster ideas/suggestions

Chris Dwan cdwan at bioteam.net
Thu Jan 13 10:29:11 EST 2005

In the workstation labs I mentioned before, a different group was
responsible for providing the desktop environment, and they were
(rightfully) sensitive to adding anything to that environment which
might impinge on the user experience.  After a couple of false starts
with crashes and some user complaints about the time it took to
checkpoint and regain control of the machine, we went to the rebooting
model.  It was simpler all around.

Another advantage was that we could have a single head node managing a
dynamic sized cluster.  I.e:  We provided one cluster, and the
scheduler knew that some of the nodes were partial duty.   This meant
that our environment was integrated, rather than having to deal with
two logical clusters, running different DRMs.

When I have used Condor, I found that it was amazing for some apps, and
not so great for others.  One thing that they have done a tremendous
job at is managing the social issues of cycle stealing.  Condor has
options to support every social or business constraint to getting your
hands on those idle CPUs.

I would use Condor if:
* I was the admin of the machines in question (no negotiation needed)
* My jobs were amenable to checkpointing (smallish memory footprint,
clean and simple compile)
* My I/O needs were small
* My code never, ever freaked out and crashed a machine

BLAST is a poor fit on two and three.  Other bioinformatics apps are
better.  As with most things technical:  "it depends."

I've had good luck on Linux and OS X machines with the part-time hooks
available in SGE.  It's not hard to arrange that jobs simply not be
scheduled on those nodes at certain times.

-Chris Dwan
  The BioTeam