[Bioclusters] mpiblast users, I need your help

Mike Cariaso cariaso at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 23 03:29:43 EST 2005

Seems the mpiblast-users mailing list just isn't
getting much attention, so I'll retry here.

I've got a small test case that reproducibly crashes
for me. I was hoping a few others on the list could
run it and tell me how it behaves for them.

Here is the script:

lamboot -v lamhosts
/usr/bin/mpirun -np 6 /usr/bin/mpiblast -p blastn -d
nt -o blast.out -i query.mfa 2> mpirun.err >
mpirun.out
lamhalt

lamhosts looks like this:
burns
smithers1
smithers2
smithers3

the nt database is based on the ncbi nt.gz file.

This is being run under lam/mpi 7.1.1
with mpiblast 1.3

Due to its size (24k) I've posted the query sequence
at
http://cariaso.is-a-geek.com/~cariaso/files/mpiblastcrash.seq

other sequences work just fine, but many others crash
as well.

When run with --debug, the crashes always occur after
lines like these, ending at outputResults().

[4] 105.211 MPI startup time is 0
[0] 105.252 Receive was successful -- about to merge
(4)
[0] 105.255 Query results have been merged
[0] 105.255 4 / 4 frags have been searched for query
0. Writing results
[0] 105.419 Setting bioseq cache
[0] 105.419 bioseq_cache->data.ptrvalue is: 0x60101188

[0] 105.42 outputResults()

The blast.out file remains at zero bytes. All nodes
still show mpiblast processes running under 'ps' but
'top ' shows that they are no longer consuming any
cpu.

Help!

> From: jsarchuleta
> Also, I assume that outputResults() is always the
last
> thing displayed, and that Node 0 ("burns") is also
at
> 0%.

yes, outputResults is always the last thing displayed.

Once I reach the outputResults() message CPU load on
all machines, including node 0, is at 0%.
And I've waited for more than enough time.

=====
Mike Cariaso