[Bioclusters] Re: Announcing iNquiryXTE: A Mac OS X desktop application interface to an iNquiry cluster

William Van Etten bill at bioteam.net
Wed May 25 12:24:29 EDT 2005

First, realize that this was simply a demonstration of the sort of
thing that's possible having a web services API to iNquiry.
I hadn't really considered this to be something "beefy" and broadly
capable, but I suppose it could turn into that.

Second, I sort of cheated in the development of this app, making it
rather Pise-centric.
I ported Catherine Leotondal's PiseParser to ObjC and used it to
parse Pise XML descriptions of the applications
being served by iNquiry's web interface. The UI and client-side web
service calls are generated from these XML.

{Actually we do the same sort of thing in reverse on the server side
to make the web services.}

So I guess, with a Pise description of MOBY, EBI, eUtils,
you could get these to work with zero development (apart from writing
the XML).

A more portable development solution might have been to generate the
UI and client-side web service calls from a WSDL.
Version 2.0.

Bill

On May 25, 2005, at 12:00 PM, bioclusters-request at bioinformatics.org