[Bioclusters] Re: [GE users] ideal load threshold for cluster nodes.

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Fri Jul 14 16:34:27 EDT 2006

Hi Jinal:

Jinal Jhaveri wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am using load_avg=2.0 as a load threshold for our SGE nodes. I avoid
> using the np_load_avg (load per processor) as it is mis-interpreted on
> intel machines with hyperthreading enabled. Can anyone (especialy in
> Bioinformatics setting running jobs like blast,interpro) share their
> experience on what load threshold works best for them?

Unless you have a really good reason for running HT, I would probably
suggest disabling it.  Our tests with BLAST a few years ago showed no
real benefit.  You do get benefit from bigger caches and faster memory
systems, but not HT.

With that in mind, I would probably stick to the load average == number
of cores in system.

Joe