[Bioclusters] Parallel Bioinformatics Applications

Christopher Dwan cdwan at bioteam.net
Mon Jun 19 08:39:29 EDT 2006

The most widely used application in bioinformatics is BLAST (http://
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/blast/).  It's a trivially parallelizable
similarity search.  There is a good MPI version here (http://
mpiblast.lanl.gov/).

ClustalW-MPI is a parallel version of a popular tool for creating
alignments of multiple sequences.  (http://web.bii.a-star.edu.sg/
~kuobin/clustalg/)

MrBayes is phylogeny program which can be built with MPI (http://
mrbayes.csit.fsu.edu/).

There are others, but those are my favorite three.

There are no widely accepted standard benchmarks in bioinformatics,
two systems people have published in the past are:

* BBS - http://www.scalableinformatics.com/metadot/index.pl?iid=2194
* IBT - http://web.bioteam.net/metadot/index.pl?iid=2378

Both were designed to be run on a single machine, rather than a
cluster or in a parallel environment, last time I checked.

Good luck!

-Chris Dwan