[Bioclusters] mpi BLAST installation problem

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Thu May 3 08:59:43 EDT 2007

Hi Dan:

Dan Swan wrote:
> On 5/2/07, sangamesh chowdappanavar <sangameshbc7 at yahoo.co.in> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>       I am getting the error in the installation of mpiBALST-1.4.0 and
>> ncbi.  Patching of mpiBLAST with ncbi is ok. next step is >
>> ncbi/make/makedis.csh.
>>  It is giving the error as follows:
>> Fatal error building NCBI core libraries.
>> Please be sure that you have X11 and Motif libraries installed.
>> The NCBI toolkit FAQ at ftp://ftp.ncbi.nih.gov/toolbox/FAQ.html may be
>> helpful.
>>
>>     I have referred all the installation guides, but still i am not
>> getting. Please help me to proceed.
>
> Well the first question is really - do you have X11 installed on the
> system (Xwindows)?  The failure message is quite straightforward.  The
> NCBI toolkit is missing some dependencies it needs  to compile.

   Its actually not that simple.  This is the error message makedis.csh
throws regardless of the problem.  makedis.csh is a c-shell wrapper
around a make (done presumably for some reason that made sense at some
point).  You can hack the makedis.csh script so that the real errors are
  seen during the make.

   There are some Linux versions with particular gcc's that are quite
unhappy about building NCBI tools.  The gcc 3.4.x series in particular.

Joe

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO
email: landman at scalableinformatics.com
phone: +1 734 786 8423
fax  : +1 734 786 8452 or +1 866 888 3112
cell : +1 734 612 4615