[Bioclusters] Re: Recommendations for building a cluster

Ahmed Moustafa ahmed at pobox.com
Fri Oct 19 18:23:00 EDT 2007

Thank you so much Chris!

By "genome-wide", it is more like performing the same task (e.g. blast,
clustalw and phyml) for every single gene in a genome. But because a
single task could include +200 sequences to align or to build a
phylogeny, it takes a significant amount of time and memory to process a
single gene. So by using, for example, mpiblast and raxmlmpi, it could
be possible to distribute these tasks over a cluster and finish an
analysis in a reasonable time.

I have googled and found these options Dell PowerEdge SC1435
(http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/pedge_sc1435),
Sun Fire X2100 M2 (http://www.sun.com/servers/entry/x2100/) and Mac
Cluster (http://www.apple.com/science/solutions/workgroupcluster.html),
do you have an experience with any of these options?

Thanks again!

Ahmed