[Bioclusters] SMP system for bioinformatics apps

David Adelson david.adelson at tamu.edu
Sun Sep 21 07:12:23 EDT 2008

Chuck,

I have an Altix310 (2x8 cores in one chassis, 2GB/core RAM) running
Red Hat Enterprise 5.  I don't use Arb, but do use both versions of
blast and RAxML (among other applications).  I don't think you can go
wrong with any multicore box running RHE or Centos, just make sure you
have enough RAM; if I was buying another server now, I would probably
go with 4GB/core.  For big jobs I have access to a supercluster made
up of Altix310 (544 cores total).

Cheers,

Dave

David Adelson

formerly Texas A&M University,
currently Adjunct Faculty, Dept. of Veterinary Integrative Biosciences.

currently Professor and Chair of Bioinformatics and Computational
Genetics
The University of Adelaide