[Bioclusters] SMP system for bioinformatics apps

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Sun Sep 21 11:03:01 EDT 2008

2 years ago it was pretty easy to make the claim that Opterons had the
price/performance advantage for the general landscape of life science
related codes.

The new Intel products have narrowed or removed the gap and now we are
in the realm of "you must benchmark your own most critical apps" if
you want the answer that best fits your needs. There is no easy once
size fits all answer any more. Sounds like you know exactly what apps
are important for you so that makes things easier if you want to try
some pre-purchase benchmarking.

I'd discourage you from building your own systems, the price delta
between DIY and systems from vendors is small enough now that it's
often better to pay a few percent more and get a system that comes
with some engineering and warranty support behind it.

For vendors you should first consider what relationships your school
has. It would be quite common in a academic setting for there to be
some deal with Dell, IBM or whatever such that you could get hardware
from this vendor and gain additional warranty or service entitlements
"for free" as part of an institutional agreement. Pricing might also
be better if you go through the campus sales rep.

If there are no such agreements or the chosen "big" vendor does not
offer the CPU variety you may want to look at then I'd recommend
looking at Silicon Mechanics (http://www.siliconmechanics.com/) - I've
used them for single server and small-cluster orders and they have a
good mix of Intel and AMD product offerings. One of the things that
drew me to them in the first place is their web configuration system
which for all but the newest products can give you nice real-time data
about electrical consumption and heat output for the product you are
putting together. It's nice to know the thermal/power data and
sometimes this is hard to get out of other vendors.

Just my $.02

-Chris