[Biophp-dev] Re: [BiO BB] Re: Bioinformatics Project

Teletchéa Stéphane biophp-dev@bioinformatics.org
31 Jul 2003 22:50:09 +0200

--=-LBdvMygHP4khTqM1fvUg

Le jeu 31/07/2003 =E0 20:32, Gary Van Domselaar a =E9crit :
> Hey Gang,
>=20
> I'm not sure how relevant this is for PHP, but I thought I would mention=20
> this kind of cool idea:
>=20
> A while back my colleague J.W. Bizzaro suggested a P2P system for
> distribution of scientific articles in PDF (and perhaps other) formats. =20
> Users of the system would store their favorite articles locally on their
> server, but make them accessible to others through the P2P system.  The
> system would allow the articles to be restricted to certain authenticated
> groups (eg lab members). Type checking could be enforced so only 'documen=
> file formats' would be distributed, reducing the potential for abuse.  A=20
> system like this combined with the features you describe, like automatic=20
> field retrieval and population from PubMed would be a very useful system=20
> indeed.

Have alook at refdb, it will allow exactly what you are displaying, the
peer-to-peer solution is nevertheless a bad thing when it is used for a
large scale exchange, MPAA or RIAA or whatever company/group is involved
in the treatment of the problem (they should find a way to distribute
their contents more logically and the peer-to-peer system would stop by
itself).

To be short, linking pybliographic to lyx and refdb is actually a
working system for publication-class paper, but you can imagine much
more : on this database, everyone could add its comments on a specific
paper, like this, you're beginning to have a real database of knowledge
based on publication, and experience from users (some tricks for
improving scales for examples). You'll begin to use a computer at its
real power ...

Stef

=20

--=20