[Biophp-dev] Re: [BiO BB] Re: Bioinformatics Project

Dan Bolser biophp-dev@bioinformatics.org
Thu, 31 Jul 2003 23:18:57 +0100 (BST)

Teletch=E9a St=E9phane said:
> Le jeu 31/07/2003 =E0 20:32, Gary Van Domselaar a =E9crit :
>> Hey Gang,
>>
>> I'm not sure how relevant this is for PHP, but I thought I would menti=
on  this
>> kind of cool idea:
>>
>> A while back my colleague J.W. Bizzaro suggested a P2P system for dist=
ribution
>> of scientific articles in PDF (and perhaps other) formats.   Users of =
the system
>> would store their favorite articles locally on their server, but make =
them
>> accessible to others through the P2P system.  The system would allow t=
he
>> articles to be restricted to certain authenticated groups (eg lab memb=
ers). Type
>> checking could be enforced so only 'document file formats' would be di=
stributed,
>> reducing the potential for abuse.  A  system like this combined with t=
he
>> features you describe, like automatic  field retrieval and population =
from
>> PubMed would be a very useful system  indeed.
>
> Have alook at refdb, it will allow exactly what you are displaying, the
> peer-to-peer solution is nevertheless a bad thing when it is used for a=
 large
> scale exchange, MPAA or RIAA or whatever company/group is involved in t=
he
> treatment of the problem (they should find a way to distribute their co=
ntents more
> logically and the peer-to-peer system would stop by itself).
>
> To be short, linking pybliographic to lyx and refdb is actually a
> working system for publication-class paper, but you can imagine much mo=
re : on
> this database, everyone could add its comments on a specific paper, lik=
e this,
> you're beginning to have a real database of knowledge based on publicat=
ion, and
> experience from users (some tricks for
> improving scales for examples). You'll begin to use a computer at its r=
eal power

This would be really great, a discussion group for each paper, including
the authors and critics.

I have thought the same thing would be usefull for 'open' database system=
s,
a particular sequence could have its own discussion group debating the
sequence annotation.