[Biophp-dev] Re: [BiO BB] Re: Bioinformatics Project

Dan Bolser biophp-dev@bioinformatics.org
Thu, 31 Jul 2003 23:48:13 +0100 (BST)

On 31 Jul 2003, [ISO-8859-1] Teletch=E9a St=E9phane wrote:

> Le jeu 31/07/2003 =E0 20:32, Gary Van Domselaar a =E9crit :
> > Hey Gang,
> >=20
> > I'm not sure how relevant this is for PHP, but I thought I would mentio=
n=20
> > this kind of cool idea:
> >=20
> > A while back my colleague J.W. Bizzaro suggested a P2P system for
> > distribution of scientific articles in PDF (and perhaps other) formats.=
 =20
> > Users of the system would store their favorite articles locally on thei=
> > server, but make them accessible to others through the P2P system.  The
> > system would allow the articles to be restricted to certain authenticat=
ed
> > groups (eg lab members). Type checking could be enforced so only 'docum=
ent
> > file formats' would be distributed, reducing the potential for abuse.  =
A=20
> > system like this combined with the features you describe, like automati=
c=20
> > field retrieval and population from PubMed would be a very useful syste=
m=20
> > indeed.
>=20
> Have alook at refdb, it will allow exactly what you are displaying, the
> peer-to-peer solution is nevertheless a bad thing when it is used for a
> large scale exchange, MPAA or RIAA or whatever company/group is involved
> in the treatment of the problem (they should find a way to distribute
> their contents more logically and the peer-to-peer system would stop by
> itself).

Is this implementation? Scientists tend to have good internet connections,
as compared to biology they are cheap. It is just a matter of getting=20
them to integrate and communicate.=20