[Molvis-list] Jmol version 10.00 - RELEASED

timothy driscoll molvisions at mac.com
Sat Dec 18 17:15:00 EST 2004

On 2004-12-18 (14:05) Joan Slonczewski wrote:

>Miguel,
>I would like to use Jmol but I have some fundamental questions.
>1.  How to download?  I looked all over your links but found no place
>to actually download the plug-in.

hi Joan,

you can download the Jmol package here:

<http://jmol.sourceforge.net/download/>

>2.  If I install Jmol on my PC, will it conflict with the Chime that is
>already there?

Jmol is both an applet and a free-standing application:

The Jmol-applet is a server tool, so it requires no installation equivalent to Chime.  Just put it someplace on your server, and point your pages at it.  The Jmol home page explains how to add the applet tag to your Web pages.

The Jmol application is like RasMol - just put it where you want and double-click to launch.

>3.  If I replace Chime with Jmol on my PC, will all these tutorials
>still work:
>http://biology.kenyon.edu/BMB/chime.htm
>Thanks,
>Joan

you will need to convert your pages so they call the Jmol applet instead of the Chime plugin, and you may run into a small handful of scripting inconsistencies between the two.  (e.g., Jmol 10 does not render surfaces.)

hth,

tim
--
Timothy Driscoll
molvisions - see, grasp, learn.

"Everything should be made a simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein