[Molvis-list] DNA B-form to Z-form transition

Eric Martz emartz at microbio.umass.edu
Mon Nov 28 22:42:03 EST 2005

In the October 20 issue of Nature, the first empirical structure for a B-
to Z-form DNA double helix transition was reported. I have included it in
my Atlas of Macromolecules
http://www.umass.edu/microbio/chime/pe_alpha/atlas/atlas.htm#dnarna
(Scroll down to the first entry in the "Challenging" section.)

The crystallographic structure has a short DNA double helix, with the less
stable Z-form stabilized by bound protein, and the B-form at the
protein-free end. The Atlas has links to view it (2ACJ) in FirstGlance in
Jmol (firstglance.jmol.org) or Protein Explorer (proteinexplorer.org).

The cover of the issue of Nature reporting this structure showed a
breathtaking theoretical model in which the B- and Z-form ends of the
transition had been extended. Kyeong Kyu Kim kindly shared this model with
permission for public redistribution. Links in the Atlas permit easy
viewing of this model (somewhat trimmed) in FirstGlance in Jmol or Protein
Explorer.

I captured some of my favorite views of the model and 2ACJ into MolSlides
(molslides.org), which can be viewed in Jmol or Chime from the Atlas.

As time permits, I plan to link all entries in this Atlas for viewing in
Jmol as well as PE/Chime.

/* - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Eric Martz, Professor Emeritus, Dept Microbiology
U Mass, Amherst -- http://www.umass.edu/molvis/martz

Protein Explorer - 3D Visualization: http://proteinexplorer.org
FirstGlance in Jmol - http://bioinformatics.org/firstglance
Workshops: http://www.umass.edu/molvis/workshop
Biochem 3D Education Resources http://MolviZ.org
World Index of Molecular Visualization Resources: http://molvisindex.org
ConSurf - Find Conserved Patches in Proteins: http://consurf.tau.ac.il
Atlas of Macromolecules: http://molvis.sdsc.edu/atlas/atlas.htm
PDB Lite Macromolecule Finder: http://pdblite.org
Molecular Visualization EMail List (molvis-list):