[Molvis-list] exporting _good_ h-bonds (was: export Chime h-bonds)

Herbert J. Bernstein yaya at bernstein-plus-sons.com
Tue Jan 3 08:53:35 EST 2006

The logic used by RasMol for H-bonds is as follows.  I would be happy
to add alternate approaches, but this one will remain the default
so as not to mess up existing scripts:

Quoting from the Sayle-Martz RasMol FAQ

"For protein, regions of alpha helix or beta-sheet are identified by
application of the algorithm of Kabsch and Sander. Hydrogen bonds are
assigned when a distance-dependent electrostatic energy of
interaction between donors and acceptors falls below a threshold
value. No reference is made to phi or psi angles.

"For DNA, Watson-Crick double helix internucleotide bonding rules are
applied without reference to actual distances between donors and
acceptors. This can lead to gross errors. For example, in 1d66.pdb,
cytosine 28 was positioned erroneously (Ronen Marmorstein, personal
communication). Two impossible hbonds are drawn, disregarding the
actual geometry. One hbond is drawn from G11.N2 to C28.O2 across one
intervening bond and one intervening atom, a distance of 7 Angstroms!
(Hbond donor-acceptor distances are generally less than 3.5
Angstroms.)"

The detailed code is available in molecule.c

   http://www.bernstein-plus-sons.com/software/rasmol/src/molecule.c

Look under the heading:

/*================================================*/
/*  Kabsch & Sander DSSP Structure Determination  */
/*================================================*/

The choice of drawing H-bonds between the donor and acceptor atoms of
the hydrogen bond or between C-alpha atoms of a protein backbone or
between phosphrous atoms of a nucleic acid backbone is made
by use of the

   set hbonds sidechain
or
   set hbonds backbone

command.

The choice of drawing H-bonds only between atoms of the same chain
or of allowing interchain H-bonds is made by the command

   set hbonds chain false

for intra-chain H-bonds only, and

   set hbonds chain true

for inter-chain H-bonds