[Molvis-list] Avian flu N1 protein structure lesson plan

Eric Martz emartz at microbio.umass.edu
Mon Sep 25 13:52:23 EDT 2006

Dear Colleagues,

Recently, while preparing to teach protein molecular structure and
structural bioinformatics in two computer lab class meetings for a local
Lab in Molecular Genetics course, I found a nice current example I thought
I'd share. Perhaps some of you will want to use this example.

In the Sept 7 Nature, Russell ... Skehel et al. describe the first 3D
structure for avian flu N1, with and without Tamiflu bound. Tamiflu and
Relenza were designed in part based on crystallographic structures for
human flu neuraminidase, so it is fortuitous that they work on avian flu.
This paper shows that to be somewhat surprising.

The avian flu N1, by itself, has one loop in a different position than the
human flu structure. Based on this, one might have predicted that the drugs
would not work on avian N1. However, they do, and the crystal structure of
the complex shows that Tamiflu induces the protein to fit the drug. The
errant loop reconfigures itself to nestle up against the drug, completing a
high-affinity binding pocket.

Also they find a deeper pocket in avian N1 than for human flu. This offers
a possible target for a new, avian N1-specific drug.

My lesson plan is at the URL below, with links to the paper, PDB codes,
visualization software (using Jmol, works on all popular browsers and
computers without installing anything), and Jmol morphs between the
drug-free and drug-bound structures, animating the induced fit.

http://www.umass.edu/molvis/martz/lectures/labmolgen/

The ConSurf server colors a 3D protein molecule with the evolutionary
conservation level of each amino acid, automatically. It now displays its
results in Jmol. It shows nice conservation of the catalytic/drug site in
N1 (links at #5 in the above URL).

-Eric

/* - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Eric Martz, Professor Emeritus, Dept Microbiology
U Mass, Amherst -- http://www.umass.edu/molvis/martz

Biochem 3D Education Resources http://MolviZ.org
See 3D Molecules, Install Nothing! - http://firstglance.jmol.org
Protein Explorer - 3D Visualization: http://proteinexplorer.org
Workshops: http://workshops.proteinexplorer.org
World Index of Molecular Visualization Resources: http://molvisindex.org
ConSurf - Find Conserved Patches in Proteins: http://consurf.tau.ac.il
Atlas of Macromolecules: http://atlas.proteinexplorer.org
PDB Lite Macromolecule Finder: http://pdblite.org
Molecular Visualization EMail List (molvis-list):