[Molvis-list] hardware upgrades to increase rasmol performance on very large systems.

Keith McLaughlin kmclau at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 19:28:54 EDT 2007

Hello all;

My research involves 4 million atom MD simulations and we've decided to use
rasmol for visualization. From my experiences, I have two questions and am
hoping that someone here may be able to help.

1. Currently I'm using version 2.7.1 because it doesn't have the coloring
problems when loading images one after another. Unfortunately, after about
500 images rasmol gives an error and is unable to load any new images saying
that the file is not found, or something to that effect. Does anyone have
experience with handling this?

2. We are planning on some upgrades, and are kind of curious as to which
components will help the most with increasing the speed in which these files
are loaded: memory or video memory, or perhaps processor. We mostly suspect
that adding more memory would be the best choice, but I'd like to hear other
opinions.

Thanks!
--
Keith McLaughlin