[Molvis-list] hardware upgrades to increase rasmol performance on very large systems.

Dr. Christoph Gille christoph.gille at charite.de
Fri Apr 13 10:21:10 EDT 2007

I do not think that increasing
RAM would solve the problem.

If the RAM would be a problem the entire computer would be
frozen.

Since the computer is still responsive it has sufficient memory.

Nevertheless,
can you monitor memory consumption i.e.
calling ps aux | fgrep rasmol ... after each image
or using top or gps or whatever monitor.

As a solution, can you close the rasmol instance in your script
and start a new one
after 400 files ?

If the number of written files is about the
same each time
independently of the size of the protein
it could also be that file pointers are not closed.

You could have a look at the
source code and check whether
the file pointers are closed.