[Molvis-list] For Workshop: Need Proteins with known struct and mutations

Dr. Christoph Gille christoph.gille at charite.de
Thu Jun 11 09:56:05 EDT 2009

For our Workshop next week we would like to ask you for your ideas about
proteins with known 3D-structure, and known disease causing mutations.

Next week we will give a practical workshop in Bioinformatics for
postgraduate students of Molecular Medicine.

Our plan is that each student chooses a protein.  The students will
obtain all mutations and SNPs from the literature and from databases.

The students should then visualize the mutations on a homologous
3D-structure using the Pymol view (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pymol)
integrated in STRAP ( http://3d-alignment.eu/ ).

In the final presentation each student should discuss the function of
his/her protein and how the mutation could affect its function in terms of
catalysis, ligand binding, 3D-structure stability ... .

Do you have ideas for proteins that would be appropriate?

Many thanks

Christoph