[Pipet Users] Command Compilation in Piper: A Discourse

J.W. Bizzaro jeff at bioinformatics.org
Tue Feb 13 16:25:19 EST 2001

Jean-Marc Valin wrote:

> Read the note I just sent about data types vs Node types...

I understand the difference:

  * Data type says what kind of data passes through a terminal
  * Node type says what the node will do to the data

And, yes, my example was using data types (INTEGER, etc.), but the same
principle applies: You can make new types ("pseudo-types") by combining
several node types in a subnet, right?  They are not hard-coded but built as
a network.  You may not have considered it to be "type defining", but it is,
in effect, no?

> Now about the popup menu, I know we'll need to find something else. But,
> remember that one way or another, you'll need to find a way to access
> any node you want. The way it's implemented now (which only works for
> local nodes) is to define a PATH for that list the toolboxes you want to
> see (the others don't appear in the pop-up menu).

Yeah, that's just the sort of thing we need to improve with Piper.

Cheers.
Jeff