From Bioinformatics.Org Wiki
”The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education” ~ Albert Einstein
A PhD in Systems Biology from Aalborg University, Denmark., Prashanth N Suravajhala went on to gain more than 7 years of postdoctoral experience across four different laboratories. Prash worked for Birla Institute of Scientific Research, Jaipur on his return to India where he successfully led three projects in the areas of systems genomics of rare diseases and next generation sequencing analysis of cancers and diabetes. He has interests exploring the known unknown regions in the human genome, primarily working on the top-down systems biology approaches of hypothetical proteins. Over the last eight years, he has developed an interest in long noncoding RNAs in humans, elucidating the mechanisms underpinning small molecular interactions through clinical exomes. His group has benchmarked pipelines and developed methods for systems genomic integration. He is an Associate Editor of BMC Medical Genomics, BMC Supplements, Frontiers in Genetics/Systems Biology, Bio-Protocol, Biomolecules. He has over 90 publications in peer-reviewed journals and edited 3 books. He strongly advocates open access and open science.
Systems Genomics Lab
I am a group leader of Systems Genomics laboratory at Amrita School of Biotechnology, Amrita Vishwavidyapeetham, Kerala, India. Our group is curious to know how of a biology of a system with special interests to study protein-protein interactions and top-down systems biology of hypothetical proteins, long noncoding RNAs in human, focusing on next generation sequencing sequencing approaches to identify regulatory aspects of the genome. A larger interests have been into elucidating the known unknown mechanisms underpinning small molecular interactions through clinical exomes. Apart from this, we have had intermittently worked on identifying the candidate genes involved in synthetic framework in bacteria and viruses.
I mentor students online through Bioclues, India's largest bioinformatics society which I founded in 2005
Current PhD fellows
- Anandhu Presannan, working on "Evaluating bona fide pathogenic SNPs using an integrated systems genomic and agnostic framework"
- Bhargavi Rajarathinam, working on "Integrated Systems Genomics Approaches for Deciphering Candidate Genes Regulating the Prostate Cancer Phenotype in India"
- Anjali Krishna, working on "Inferring Variants of Unknown Significance (VOUS) in Rare Disease Genetics: An India-centric Study"
- Nidhi Shukla, working on "Long non-coding RNAs in CA prostate." Currently submitting her thesis by March 2023.
- Harshita Bhargava, working on "Recommender systems for a thorough health database integration." Currently submitting her thesis by March 2023.
- Shalini Rajgopal working on "Dissecting Vitamin K Pathways using Systems Genomics." Currently submitting her thesis by March 2023.
- Bhumandeep Kour working on "Systems genomic approaches in understanding the role of diabetics in CA prostate." Currently submitting her thesis by March 2023.
- Anchita Prasad, working on "The known unknown regions in bacteria."
Past PhD/Postdoc fellows
- Ashkan Dashtban, currently based in UK, worked on "Robust BAT algorithms for gene selection." Awarded and currently at University of UCL, London.
- Purva Bhalothia, Postdoc. Worked on "Identifying Regulatory Elements in Diabetic Nephropathies." Currently a Postdoc in the UK.
- Pradeep Tiwari, Birla Institute of Scientific Research, Jaipur worked on " Systems Phenome Interatcome Networks in Asian Indian Type -2 Diabetes Mellitues (AIT2DM)." Currently a Postdoc in Johns Hokins.
- Johny Ijaq, Worked on " A nine point classifications coring scheme for deciphering function of hypothetical proteins." Currnetly a Postdoc in CCMB, Hyderabad.
- Sonal Gupta, Birla Institute of Scientific Research, Jaipur worked on "Identifying lncRNA-protein interactions in Congenital Pouch Colon." Currently a Postdoc in Delhi.
- Urvashi Vijay, Birla Institute of Scientific Research, Jaipur worked on " Rare disease genomics inferring assays to screens the mutations" Currently a Scientist at SMS Medical College, Jaipur.
Current Graduate students
- Gautham Manoj
- Ujjwal Pratap Singh
- Ranjana Raju
The group has recently advertised for three positions. If you are a CSIR JRF/GATE fellow, you are always welcome to contact me. Grad project fellows can contact me throughout the year. Applications considered on a rolling basis.
All peer-reviewed PubMed publications are available here
- Editorial perspective: Shukla N, Prasad A, Kanga U, Suravajhala R, Nigam VK, Kishor PK, Polavarapu R, Chaubey G, Singh KK, Suravajhala P. SARS-CoV-2 Transgressing LncRNAs Uncovers the Known Unknowns. Physiol Genomics. 2021 Sep 7. doi: 10.1152/physiolgenomics.00075.2021. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 34492207.
- Research: Gupta A, Shukla N, Nehra M, Gupta S, Malik B, Mishra AK, Vijay M, Batra J, Lohiya NK, Sharma D and Suravajhala P (2020) A Pilot Study on the Whole Exome Sequencing of Prostate Cancer in the Indian Phenotype Reveals Distinct Polymorphisms. Front. Genet. 11:874. doi: 10.3389/fgene.2020.00874
- Perspectives: Singh KK, Chaubey G, Chen JY, Suravajhala P. Decoding SARS-CoV-2 Hijacking of Host Mitochondria in Pathogenesis of COVID-19 [published online ahead of print, 2020 Jun 8]. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2020;10.1152/ajpcell.00224.2020. Link
- Research: Mathur P, Medicherla KM, Chaudhary S, Patel M, Bagali S and Suravajhala P. Whole Exome Sequencing reveals rare variants linked to Congenital Pouch Colon. Scientific Reports. 2018; 8:6646. Link
- Research: Suravajhala P, Benso A. Prioritizing single-nucleotide polymorphisms and variants associated with clinical mastitis. Adv Appl Bioinform Chem. 2017 Jun 12;10:57-64. Link
- Research: Dashtban M, Balafar M, Suravajhala P.Gene selection for tumor classification using a novel bio-inspired multi-objective approach. Genomics. 2017 Aug 3. pii: S0888-7543(17)30067-8. Link
- Review: Suravajhala P, Kogelman LJ, Kadarmideen HN. Multi-omic data integration and analysis using systems genomics approaches: Methods and application in animal production, and health and welfare. Genetics, Selection and Evolution. 2016: 48:38. Link
- Research: Suravajhala P, Kogelman LJ, Mazzoni G, Kadarmideen HN. Potential role of lncRNA cyp2c91-protein interactions on diseases of the immune system. Front Genet. 2015 Jul 28;6:255. Link
- Protocol: Suravajhala P and Bizzaro JW: A Conceptual Outline for ‘Omics Experiments Using Bioinformatics Analogies. Bioprotocol. 01/2015; Link
- PhD course on Integrated Systems Genomics January-June 2023.
- PhD course on Ethic/FAIR/PRISMA guidelines January-June 2023.
- Meetings/Talks in Mumbai Haematology Group during January 2023.
- Workshop co-organizer on the known unknowns of SARS-CoV-2 infection and role of Mitochondria Link April 27-29, 2021
- Keynote at BCC2020
- Conference co-chair for InCoB'20
- Program chair for Inbix'20
- Plenary talk for Indonesia Medical Association (IMERI) conference, November 9, 2020.
- Workshop on 'Bioinformatics to Systems Genomics' during September 22-30, 2020.
- Systems genomic approaches of COVID at various schools
- Workshop on Systems Biology in 2020.
- Workshop on Prioritizing variants from NGS data in PAG Asia in Seoul during May 30-June 1, 2018.
- Workshop on Systems genomics in University of Jayawardenapura, Colombo during June 2-4, 2018.
- Associate Editor for
- BMC Medical Genomics
- BMC Medical Supplements
- Frontiers in Genetics/Genomic Assay Technologies
- Recently reviewed for
- Elsevier Software
- Plos ONE
- Frontiers in Oncology
- MDPI journals
- BMC Bioinformatics
- Current Science