From Bioinformatics.Org Wiki
”The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education” ~ Albert Einstein
Namasté! I am a Research Scientist in Systems Biology at Birla Institute of Scientific Research (BISR), Jaipur, India. I obtained my PhD from Aalborg University, Denmark after having worked in Lene Juel Rasmussen's lab. I went on to gain seven years of post-doctoral experience and sabbatical visits in various laboratories before taking up the current position.
I'm a dry biologist curious to know how of a biology of a system. My interests are to study protein-protein interactions and top-down systems biology of hypothetical proteins, long noncoding RNAs in human, focusing on next generation sequencing sequencing approaches to identify regulatory aspects of the genome. My recent interests have been into elucidating the mechanisms underpinning small molecular interactions through clinical exomes. Apart from this, I have had intermittently worked on identifying the candidate genes involved in synthetic framework in bacteria. Besides this, I am an opportunist helper in providing bioinformatics/systems solutions to scientists in other allied fields.
- Purva Bhalothia, PhD. Working on "Identifying Regulatory Elements in Diabetic Nephropathies"
Apart from the current four graduate interns, the following are the PhD fellows that I supervise
- Nidhi Shukla, working on "Long non-coding RNAs in Cancer Prostate."
- Harshita Bhargava, working on "Recommender Systems for a thorough health database integration"
- Anchita Prasad, working on "The known unknown regions in bacteria"
Past PhD fellows
- Ashkan Dashtban, currently based in UK, worked on "Robust BAT algorithms for gene selection." Awarded and currently at University of Reading, UK.
- Johny Ijaq, Osmania University, Hyderabad.Worked on " A nine point classifications coring scheme for deciphering function of hypothetical proteins."
- Pradeep Tiwari, Birla Institute of Scientific Research, Jaipur working on "Systems phenome interactions of Asian Indian type-2 Diabetes"
- Sonal Gupta, Birla Institute of Scientific Research, Jaipur working on "Identifying lncRNA-protein interactions in Congenital Pouch Colon"
All peer-reviewed PubMed publications are available here
- Research: Mathur P, Medicherla KM, Chaudhary S, Patel M, Bagali S and Suravajhala P. Whole Exome Sequencing reveals rare variants linked to Congenital Pouch Colon. Scientific Reports. 2018; 8:6646. Link
- Research: Suravajhala P, Benso A. Prioritizing single-nucleotide polymorphisms and variants associated with clinical mastitis. Adv Appl Bioinform Chem. 2017 Jun 12;10:57-64. Link
- Research: Dashtban M, Balafar M, Suravajhala P.Gene selection for tumor classification using a novel bio-inspired multi-objective approach. Genomics. 2017 Aug 3. pii: S0888-7543(17)30067-8. Link
- Review: Suravajhala P, Kogelman LJ, Kadarmideen HN. Multi-omic data integration and analysis using systems genomics approaches: Methods and application in animal production, and health and welfare. Genetics, Selection and Evolution. 2016: 48:38. Link
- Research: Suravajhala P, Kogelman LJ, Mazzoni G, Kadarmideen HN. Potential role of lncRNA cyp2c91-protein interactions on diseases of the immune system. Front Genet. 2015 Jul 28;6:255. Link
- Protocol: Suravajhala P and Bizzaro JW: A Conceptual Outline for ‘Omics Experiments Using Bioinformatics Analogies. Bioprotocol. 01/2015; Link
- COVID invited online talks at various schools
- Workshop on 'Linux for Biologists' during August 2020.
- Workshop on Systems Biology in 2020.
- Workshop on Prioritizing variants from NGS data in PAG Asia in Seoul during May 30-June 1, 2018.
- Workshop on Systems genomics in University of Jayawardenapura, Colombo during June 2-4, 2018.
- Associate Editor for
- BMC Medical Genomics
- Frontiers in Genetics
- Recently reviewed for
- MDPI journals
- BMC Bioinformatics
- Current Science