BIRCH/Database Development/Interfaces and clients
From Bioinformatics.Org Wiki
- MySQL workbench - http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/workbench/5.2.html
- MySQL command line interface (already installed on COE and CCU)
Possibly useful tools
- MySQL PHP builder: http://www.sqlmaestro.com/products/mysql/phpgenerator/
Rollout of the database to project researchers
What do they already have running?
SQL based browser
Can be installed without root privileges on any web server which supports PHP with MySQL
Would it be a good idea to have a custom web interface which doesn't require SQL knowledge?
3rd party client interfaces
MySQL CLI: Install MySQL on any computer to get the MySQL CLI interface: http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/
data viewing and searching
- Should the browsing be similar to ACEdb? Would this require more memory with each biolegato instance?
- Should the interface have an SQL canvas where the user can enter SQL?
- What is the required functionality for the viewer?
Refinement of the schema, and implementation of refinements in the database
bioLegato Database Client
The spreadsheet canvas of bioLegato will be extended to create an advanced database client. This client will implement:
- custom views of the data, analogous to TableMaker in ACeDB
- simple queries
- presentation of results from row/column interfaces
- query by example