From Bioinformatics.Org Wiki
This release is solely for the purpose of revising the BIRCH home page.
More modern looking web site
- allow substitution of local content using customdoc.py
- design is both desktop and mobile viewable. Looks good either in fullscreen or narrow window.
- compatible with existing hierarchy of pages
- page has to grab visitor who doesn't know what BIRCH is, but still be easy for BIRCH user who wants to find something.
- For next release: home page only. In subsequent releases, we'll slowly work on modernizing pages
- Start with an alternative web site eg. newindex.html that has to prove it can do everything that index.html does. We need to tread very slowly with the use of styles, because we don't want to break existing pages.
Home Page Layout
We want a lot of links on the front page to make it easy to find things in a few clicks. You don't want to make the user explore a bunch of hierarchical menus.
- Local identity
- BIRCH splash logo
- Version info
- What is BIRCH (or do we put this into About page?)
- Local advert
- BIRCH News
- New Users
- Program indices
- Local databases
- Local acknowledgements
- Download button