[BiO BB] Bio Undergrad

Jeffrey Chang jchang at SMI.Stanford.EDU
Sat Jun 2 14:26:56 EDT 2001

Hi Pierre,

> I am a recent graduate with a molecular bio/biochem major and mathematics
> minor interested in the bioinformatics field.  Having searched the internet
> for jobs, I have found that I would have been more employable if I had
> majored in computer science.

That really depends on what you want to do.  If you want to build tools for
biology, then that's definitely true.  You should beef up your background on
tools of the trade such as perl, python, databases, ...

However, if you want to do more algorithm development, your math background
makes you extremely qualified for that.  However, for this kind of work, you
will almost certainly need a Ph.D., and should be looking to graduate
programs.  There are now many very good programs that can get you what you
want, but that's the subject of another email.

Jeff