[BiO BB] overlapping/shadow genes in prokaryotes

Timothy Driscoll molvisions at mac.com
Wed Dec 14 16:31:57 EST 2005

On Dec 14, 2005, at 3:23 p, Martin Gollery wrote:

> hi Tim,
>
> Are these predicted genes in the same reading frame, or is there a
> frameshift between them?
>
> Best regards,
> Marty

hi Marty,

thanks for the response.  actually, I should have been more specific
- the predicted genes run on opposite strands.

so far, I have curated approximately 125 genes (not counting the
overlappers) of one megaplasmid of this genome (admittedly, a very
small fraction of the total genome).

23% of the curated genes are paired with predicted overlapping genes.
all of the pairs are on opposing strands.
all overlaps are substantial - generally the entire gene, or most of it.
38% of the pairs are in the +1/-2 orientation.
28% of the pairs are in +1/-1 orientation.

AFAIK, overlapping genes in this fashion is a common mechanism for
genome compaction in prokaryotes.  so there would be no reason to
rule out one of the two overlapping genes, simply because it overlaps
another gene - unless, of course, the supporting evidence is
particularly poor.  IOW, both predictions could very well be correct,
and the fact that they overlap has no bearing on whether they are
'real' genes.  is that a fair statement?

thanks,

tim