[BiO BB] Need installation of Bio software on Mac

Dr. Christoph Gille christoph.gille at charite.de
Fri Jun 10 06:38:14 EDT 2005

Hi everybody,

If you have a Mac OSX I would like to ask you for help.

Could you please test whether some new parts of the STRAP software
also work properly under Macintosh.  It takes only 5 min. The problem
is that the new software is installed from source code and I do not
know how Macintosh handles C/C++ programs.

The idea behind is that though I do not have
a Macintosh I would be able to provide new algorithms for Macintosh.

Please launch STRAP with the webstart link
http://www.charite.de/bioinf/strap/strap2.jnlp or click the webstart
button on the home page http://www.charite.de/bioinf/strap/

Two new alignment programs are included: MUSCLE and DIALIGN-t and I do
not know whether their installation works properly.  To get to the
alignment form you can follow the first three panels of the Tutorial
which automatically comes up at start.

Instead of CLUSTALW you select MUSCLE or DIALIGN-t.  An automated
installing process is started and "make" is run.

I guess that Mac (though it is some sort of UNIX) has no C-compiler
and probably this installation process will fail until Gnu C-compiler
is installed.

Is this difficult to install ?  How do people install gcc?  Can I
initiate the installation process of gcc automatically from STRAP ?  Is
there a Web-Site for gcc ?  Are there other C/C++ -compilers around ?

A third program TOPPRED can predict transmembrane helices and plot
hydrophobicity profiles and is accessed from the menu "predict" or
"analyze/plot profile.. ."

Many thanks

Christoph