[BiO BB] Re: A tool for gene identification

Mhmoud Elhefnawi mahef111 at link.net
Wed May 3 17:09:20 EDT 2006

dear all,
I thank so much all those who sent me their feedback and suggestions.
I actually tried the Trace search, and BLAST on the  human genome.
Both yielded no significant similarity for humans.
We previously submitted this sequence to Genbank   accession number AY083907..  It is 91% similar to an gene in Eschorchia Coli...It is a /note="delta 2-isopentenyl adenosine tRNA-like protein;
possible member of the mevalonate pathway; down-regulated
in several human tumors including liver, urinary tract,
bladder, and submaxillary carcinoma; similar to
Escherichia coli and Shigella flexneri delta-2 isopentenyl
pyrophosphate transferases".
We were able to isolate it from different human cell lines.. and also from Differential display analysis on different cancers like urethral cancer... what is the probability that it is a novel gene not yet discovered at all, ?  and what percent of the human genome is still not sequenced in order to be able to search against?
Thanks alot again for all your kind assistance,
Mahmoud