[BiO BB] Bioinformatics and Intellectual Property Rights

km srikrishnamohan at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 04:22:01 EDT 2008

Hi,

I have some comments in general.
True potential of research does not mean one has a bunch of patents
(restrictive) to push others to stone age.
Patent system is actually a big stumble to discovery. It is a relic/fossil
of human greed and opportunism -  a state where rich become even rich and
poor become even poor. It is created to make products(drugs etc...) of
inventions inaccessible to the poor.
Moreover IPR is archaic and has not evolved.
I would also like u to note that most software developed in bioinformatics
is in opensource domain with a  "no-no" to software patents.

Please follow the  link for this useless patent regime.
http://www.physorg.com/news140178906.html

HTH
KM