[Bioclusters] Local blast server,beowulf vs mosix + BIOITWORLD conference

Eric Engelhard bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Tue, 05 Mar 2002 10:22:28 -0800

chris dagdigian wrote:
[snip]
> (2) Diskless. I would never _not_ put a large cheap IDE drive in my
> cluster elements because at the very least I need a local large /tmp or
> /scratch partition for caching sequence databases and raw data. Without
> this approach you pretty much will swamp your NFS server under any sort
> of serious workload.
[snip]

I agree completely. If the reference sequence data is split and stored
at each node, then only the query sequences and results (or parsed
results) need to move in and out of the NFS server and across the
network (well, each ref db update moves once). No need to swamp the NFS
or cause massive collisions on your network.

I am interested, has ANYONE used a diskless BLAST cluster?

--
Eric Engelhard - www.cvbig.org - www.sagresdiscovery.com