[Bioclusters] Local blast server,beowulf vs mosix + BIOITWORLD conference

Jeff Layton bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Tue, 05 Mar 2002 14:47:21 -0500

Eric Engelhard wrote:

> chris dagdigian wrote:
> [snip]
> > (2) Diskless. I would never _not_ put a large cheap IDE drive in my
> > cluster elements because at the very least I need a local large /tmp or
> > /scratch partition for caching sequence databases and raw data. Without
> > this approach you pretty much will swamp your NFS server under any sort
> > of serious workload.
> [snip]
>
> I agree completely. If the reference sequence data is split and stored
> at each node, then only the query sequences and results (or parsed
> results) need to move in and out of the NFS server and across the
> network (well, each ref db update moves once). No need to swamp the NFS
> or cause massive collisions on your network.

If you have the memory, why not make a RAM disk to store any
local information (I guess it depends on the size of the database).
However, have you seen the new motherboards from Tyan and
Supermicro that can handle up to 16 Gigs of DDR!? Very cool
possibilities now.

Jeff