[Bioclusters] Opteron 248 HEating Issues

Steve Pittard bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Mon, 2 Aug 2004 14:37:10 -0400 (EDT)

Hello, Is anyone aware of heating issues specifically
relating to the Opteron 248s  (as opposed to
246s and below) ? I ask only because I have been evaluating
some cluster technology based on the Opteron 248s and was
told by one vendor that they were having to rethink their
cooling stratgey specifically for the 248s and above.
Evidently they are reacting to a particular heat dissipation
issue specific to the 248. This could be simply because
they weren't dealing adequately with cooling on Opterons
in general and are having to find a better solution though
they were representing the thermal issue as specific to
the 248s. Thanks

Steve Pittard	 | http://catalina.bimcore.emory.edu (HOME PAGE)
Emory University | wsp@emory.edu, wsp@bimcore.emory.edu  (INTERNET)
BIMCORE Support	 | 404 727 0038