[Bioclusters] SGE user_share

Chris Dagdigian bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Thu, 06 May 2004 15:37:32 -0400

'sgeee' should mean that you are running enterprise edition so you are
all set.

Rather than share tree it may be easier for you to read up on
"functional policies" -- they are slighly easier to setup and comprehend
then ticket based share trees.

With a functional policy you can assign percentages of cluster resources
to Users, UserGroups, Projects and Departments however you like.

If you just set up a few users and assign relative percentages then the
overall cluster will schedule jobs essentially fairshare-by-user with
each user's jobs being FIFO. Most people do functional policy based
resource allocation by just creating a few departments, adding people to
each department as needed and then assigning 50% of the cluster to
DepartmentA and 50% to DepartmentB etc.  Obviously when the cluster is
idle anyone can get more than 50%.

-chris