[Bioclusters] Need some advice on a cluster for EST/cDNA assembly, clustering

Elia Stupka elia at tigem.it
Sun Feb 27 13:37:27 EST 2005

I've been hoping to be able to access large amounts of memory on
affordable servers for a while, in reality, though, the 4GB OS limit
has hardly been the issue since unfortunately the cost of memory is
still very high and hardware vendors seldom offer more than 4GBs per
processor.

The Sun Opterons are the only ones (among the mainstream vendors) that
offered us a 4-way option with 32 GBs. The Apple G5s are still limited
to 8GB (4 per processor, probably when Tiger will be truly released
they will finally offer more memory slots?), IBM Opterons offer 16GB
(still only 4GB per processor), the blade versions are always limited
in memory, etc... then you are left with the usual suspects (Power5s,
etc.) who have been dealing with more memory for a long time, but at a
nasty price...

...as long as it costs more to equip hardware with good amounts of
memory than it costs to buy the hardware, the refinement of 64-bit OS
for access to large amounts of memory can't take off properly, can it?

Cheers,

Elia