[Bioclusters] Staden io_lib and x86_64

Andrew.Mather at dpi.vic.gov.au Andrew.Mather at dpi.vic.gov.au
Wed Jul 27 07:03:47 EDT 2005

Hi All,

I originally sumbitted this question to the Bioperl mailing list, but
haven't received any replies.

I wonder if anyone here can help ?

Thanks,
Andrew

Hi,

I'm having some problems getting the bioperl-ext to install under RHEL3
Update 5 for Opteron.

I guess it's not strictly a Bioperl problem, but I figure someone here
will
have tried this before I and can offer some advice.

The problem seems to be related to the Staden io_lib.  Version 1.8.11
wouldn't compile, as the configure fails since it doesn't appear to
undertsand Opterons.  I looked around and found Verison 1.9.0 on
Sourceforge and this appears to compile cleanly, however it doesn't look
like it's left any .so files in /usr/local/lib  (or anywhere else for that
matter).  It leaves the .a files, but no .so files.

>From reading the staden::read makefile, this (and I'm guesing it's this )
causes the make process to fail and I can't build ext.  I've copied the
Read,
os and configure header files into /usr/local/include. Apparently failure
do this is a common problem in the io_lib install process, but in this
case,
it's makes no difference.

Has anyone on the list compiled the staden io_lib on Opteron ?  If so,
pointers to appropriate info/versions etc gratefully received.

Thanks,
Andrew

Animal Genetics and Genomics, PIRVic Attwood
475 Mickleham Road, Attwood, 3049
ph +61 3 92174342
mob  0413 009 761

There are 10 kinds of people...those who understand binary and those who
don't.