[Bioclusters] Ruby Queue

Tim Cutts tjrc at sanger.ac.uk
Fri Feb 10 04:53:27 EST 2006

On 9 Feb 2006, at 10:27 pm, andy law (RI) wrote:

> All,
>
> One of my post-docs dropped this URL into my inbox.
>
> http://interactive.linuxjournal.com/article/7922
>
> It's quite old, but I don't remember seeing it discussed here
> previously
> and I can't find mention of it in the archives.

That idea has been done, at quite large scale, by some organisations
(Incyte, for one).  But they didn't use NFS; it doesn't scale well
enough.  It can work quite well;  a broker process connected to a
database knows about all the tasks, and one after another executes
them on the list of currently available workers.

It works fine as long as the granularity of the workload is correct
so you're not swamped in communication overhead and contention for
accessing the task list, and also as long as the cluster is
essentially doing tasks for only one political entity, so that first-
come-first-served is a perfectly suitable scheduling policy.  If your
cluster is shared by several groups with priorities which change over
time, or with sudden deadlines, or any of a  million other reasons
that FCFS is no longer a sensible scheduling strategy, you will need
something more sophisticated.  You either go to the SGE's and LSF's
of this world, or you divide your cluster up into small clusters each
with their own broker, for particular tasks, which eventually turns
out to be not a very efficient use of your resources.  It's worth
noting that Incyte eventually abandoned their home-grown simple
scheduler and bought LSF.

For a small lab cluster though, a simple solution like this is
probably quite adequate.

Just my 0.02.

Tim

--
Dr Tim Cutts
Informatics Systems Group, Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute