[Bioclusters] N1 grid engine install problem

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Thu Jul 6 08:42:49 EDT 2006

Hi Scott,

Grid Engine installation is pretty trivial on Apple systems, you'll
have to provide more debug information before any of us can help.
Cutting and pasting the output from your attempt to run "./
install_execd" on the Mac may help -- we need to see what errors you
are getting.

Some tips:

1. Environment variables override port settings in /etc/services. If
you want to be really sure SGE is using the proper ports on your
Apple system, do something along the lines of this before you run ./
install_execd:

  # export SGE_QMASTER=536
  # export SGE_EXECD=537

2. Grid Engine is extremely sensitive to issues of hostname
resolution and forward/reverse DNS settings. You should examine the
file on your Origin SGE system at location: $SGE_ROOT/default/common/
act_qmaster -- that file should contain the hostname of the SGE
master node as Grid Engine believes it to be. Your apple system needs
to be able use this file to learn how to contact the master node. If
the system name is not fully qualified or you cant do a DNS lookup on
it from your Apple system then this would also be a probem. You'd
have to use a host_aliases file and/or make an /etc/hosts entry to
force the SGE client code into finding the master.

Also let us know what version of N1GE and if you are using a
$SGE_ROOT that is shared via NFS between the Apple and SGI system

-Chris