[Molvis-list] exporting _good_ h-bonds (was: export Chime h-bonds)

Timothy Driscoll molvisions at mac.com
Tue Jan 3 11:40:45 EST 2006

On Jan 3, 2006, at 11:20 a, Gale Rhodes wrote:
> Hi, Tim!
>
> On Jan 3, 2006, at 10:57 AM, Timothy Driscoll wrote:
>
>> hi Kevin,
>>
>> thanks for the clarification.  how would you define a 'high-
>> quality' x-ray structure?  is there a generally accepted threshold
>> for resolution or RMSD?
>
> Resolution and RMSD on bonds and angles tell you very little about
> the quality of models. For example, a 3.0 A structure with non-
> crystallographic averaging might be of higher quality than a 2.2 A
> structure without it. Any parameters, like bond lengths and angles,
> that are constrained or restrained during refinement are poor
> indicators of quality.
>
> To become as astute judge of model quality, take Gerard Kleywegt's
> tutorial on the subject:
>
> http://xray.bmc.uu.se/gerard/embo2001/modval/index.html
>
> I know of no better or more state-of-the-art introduction to the
> subject. This guide helps model users understand that the pertinent
> quality criteria depend on what you want to do with the model.
>
> Chapter 8 of my book, Crystallography Made Crystal Clear, is
> another source of simple explanations, but Kleywegt puts you in the
> driver's seat of some of the best vehicles for assessing quality.

hi Gale,

Happy New Year!  thanks for the primer; you have hit the nail on the
head, as usuaL.  I will look at Kleywegt's url and, if I can get my
hands on a copy, I'll check out CCC as well.

best wishes,

tim
--
Timothy Driscoll                                em: molvisions at mac.com
molvisions - see. grasp. learn.                 ph: 919-368-2667